Sunday, April 6

goodbye, mouharram bek

Now that I am living in a new area of Alexandria, it seems like a good time to post some pictures of my old neighborhood in Mouharram Bek (pronounced Mouharram Bay...I still haven't been able to figure out why it's spelled with a 'K', even in Arabic I see it spelled with the equivalent of the K sound).





Mouharram Bek street is along the yellow tram line. Since the name of our street is the same as the name of the district, we often say we live 'along the tram' to clarify.


Another shot of Mouharram Bek street.




The roof of the girls' school next door, the one that starts our mornings (after the athan, of course) with a half hour of warm-ups, chanting, xylophone playing, Qur'anic recitations, and nationalistic songs. When I was in Jordan I got to see these more close-up, and I do have to say that I think having students do public speaking every morning (the students are responsible for most aspects of the warmup, including a short lecture usually proceding the qur'anic recitation) does help build confidence and public speaking skills. I don't think any school in America prepares its students as consistently for public speaking. That's Jordan, though...and I don't think there is all that much to be said for Egyptian education as a whole.










students at work/using super-spy capabilities on my camera





Construction scene, across from my bedroom window (but several floors higher). A lot of the buildings here are left unfinished at the top, so that new flats can be built above them.





someone peeking out the window during classes......

No comments: